How to Apply a Lace Wig
How to Attach Your Full Lace Wig
Wig Application Tips Using Adhesives:
Preparing Lace Wig for Application:
- Clip all hair and baby hair away from the edge of the wig to prevent the hair from getting stuck in the bonding adhesive(s) when applying your full lace wig.
- Carefully trim the lace around the hairline of the full lace wig. Cut all the lace off right up to the hairline. For beginners, you may wish to leave a little of the lace (1/2") if you think it will be easier to attach the wig to the glue or tape.
Preparing Skin and Hair for Application:
- Braid hair in small cornrows, or tightly wrap your hair head for a flat look.
- Use alcohol 99% on a cotton pad and rub around your entire hairline, to remove any oil that may be on your skin. Do not use a cotton ball as it will leave traces of cotton along the hairline.
- Apply scalp protector to protect skin from adhesives. This process is great for people with sensitive skin. The skin protector will also help the adhesive stick to the skin in the event of contact with moisture (ie. Humidity, swimming, sweating & work outs).
- For those with hair, use a flesh tone wig cap to flatten and protect your natural hair. Be sure to line it up with your hairline, so that, your own hair is completely covered. The flesh tone wig cap will create a scalp illusion. Make. To prevent the wig cap from slipping back, allow the glue and/or tape to overlay onto the stocking cap, or loosely stitch the cap in place.
Preparing Skin and Hair for Application:
- Apply a thin coat of the liquid adhesive (glue) around all the perimeter of your hairline using a flat wooden cosmetic stick or a small make-up brush.
- Do not bond your lace wig to wet glue because it will not stick well. Soft bond adhesive (ie. Ultra Hold) should have a “tacky” feel when dried. Hard bond adhesives such as Endurabond, does not require drying time because it dries immediately after being applied. When applying soft bond adhesive use a hair dryer for about five minutes to aide the drying process.
- To make sure the wig is aligned properly, bond the wig starting at the center of your front hairline. Press your wig down using a fine tooth comb from one side to the other. If you have glue showing beyond the edges of the lace remove the excess glue using a Q-Tip dabbed in 99%. If the wig is not aligned properly, place the Q-Tip between the lace and your skin to release the lace from its bond then re-adjust the lace the right way.
- When you have completed the application process, tie down your hairline with a silk or satin scarf. This will allow the glue to set and dry properly. You may also sit under a dryer during this step to aide in the drying process.
Applying Your Wig Using Tape
- Cut double sided wig tape into the desired length. Peel one side of the tape to expose the adhesive and press to your skin around the perimeter of your head below the hairline.
Leave small spaces between the tape strips, to allow moisture to escape.
- Place lace wig on your head and position it so that the perimeter edge of the wig lines up with edge of the tape.
- Pin back the wig hair so that it does not get in the way during the attachment process.
- Peel the tape backing off to reveal the adhesive. Beginning with the front hairline, attach the wig to the forehead by pressing and holding it to the adhesive for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repeat these steps for your nape and sides.
- Once you have attached the wig to your skin, tie down your hairline with a silk or satin scarf to allow the tape to stick better to your skin.
Removing Your Lace Wig
- Saturate adhesive remover on top of the glue and lace of your lace wig.
- Wait for the wig to easily separate itself from your skin. Use a Q-Tip to apply the adhesive remover/solvent between the lace and your skin. Be sure to allow the adhesive remover to completely saturate and the lace to release prior to trying to remove the unit. This will preserve the lace on your unit and your hairline. PLEASE take your time while doing this. The glue should remain on your skin, not on the lace.
- Remove any remaining adhesive residue from the lace and in the hair of the wig with glue remover.